Change
Wardha on VoiceOfBharat.org
District Searches
Statistics
Interviews
Programmes
Collector / MP

Volunteering
Donation

 
Voice of Wardha District :
Sanjaykumar Ojha, Dainik Bhaskar, Wardha
Sharmish Khadke, Dainik Sakaal, Wardha
Pravin Ballmwar

Dr. Tarak Kate, local NGO

We face the issue of acute shortage of employment opportunities. Due to lack of industries many people are unemployed. There is an urgent need to open out more employment opportunities for the youth. Agriculture is the only source of income. Farmers still use the primitive methods of farming. Irrigation facilities are not well maintained. Cotton cultivation is the major crop cultivated. This cultivation depends on various methods. It needs good rainfall. If the amount of rainfall is low then the crops are ruined. The farmers even lack awareness about the market and they are unable to earn profits. Farmers are poor and they take loans from the money lenders to buy seeds and other equipments. These money lenders exploit the farmers and take away their belongings. This forces the farmers to committee suicide.

Wardha District
Area, Population & Sex Ratio

Geographical Area : 6309.0 Km2
Population in Wardha (Census 2011)
Total Population
Total : 1296157
Male : 665925
Female : 630232

Under 6 population
Total : 124536
Male : 65005
Female : 59531

Disabled population
Total disabled population : 22192
In seeing : 7677
In speech : 1401
In hearing : 1899
In movement : 7963
Mental : 3252

Rank ( VoiceOfBharat.org Analysis )
Backwardness : 129
Sex Ratio Rank : 271
(Rank one is least sex ratio - Cenus 2001)
HIV Category District : A
(HIV Sentinel Surveillance 2004 - 2006)
Disability : 399 (Census 2001)
Literacy Ratio : 56 (Census 2001)
Minority : Does not figure in MCD

Brief About Wardha District

Wardha History
Hindu Kingdom of Berar Little or nothing is known of the early history of the District, but we have a mention of the river Wardha so for back as the 2nd century B.C. The early mention goes to Berar - the King of Vidharbha. The country of Vidarbha (Berar) was later divided into two (between Berar and his cousin Madhavansena), each ruling on one side of the riverv (Wardha). Chalukya and Radhtrakuta Kings Wardha with the rest of Berar probably formed part of the Chalukya Rajput dynasty whose capital was situated in the modern Bijapur District and subsequently at Nasik and whose rule lasted from about 550 to 750 A.D. Copper-plate grants belonging to this dynasty have been found at Multai in Betul and at Deoli in Wardha. The Deoli plate is dated A. D. 940 in the reign of the king Krishna III; it records the grant of a village named Talapurumshaka in the Nagapura-Nandivardhan District to a Kanarese Brahman.

The Bahmani Kingdom
Wardha was subsequently included in the territories of the Bahmani kings of Gul barga near Solapur and Bidar, who established an independent principality in 1351, and were so called because the founder of their line, elected after the revolt from Muhammad Tughlak, was either a Brahman or a Brahman's servant. Mr. Sir A. Lyall says : 'We may venture to describe roughly the Bahmani province of Berar as stretching from the Satpura range southward to Godavari river, from Khandesh and Daulatabad eastward to the Wardha river.

The Imad Shahi Dynasty
There is and early mention of an invasion of Berar by the king of Gujarat in 1437 in which the Raja of Gondwana (across the Wardha) aided and abetted. This Raja must probably have belonged to the Chanda line. On the collapse of the Bahmani dynasty in 1518, Berar was ruled for a period by the Imad Shahi princes from their capital at Ellichpur, the founder of the dynasty being a Kanarese Hindu whom the governor of Berar had promoted to high office.

The Mughal Empire
The Ellichpur kingdom was crushed out of being by the king of Ahmadnagar in 1572 after a separate existence of ninety years, and in about 1594 Berar was ceded from Ahmadnagar to the Emperor Akbar.

The Maratha Invasion
The tract west of the Wardha included in Berar was finally ceded to Nagpur in 1822, the forts of Gawilgarh and Narnala and some other territory in Berar being retroceded by the Bhonslas to the Nizam at the same time. The Bhonsla kingdom In 1765 the allied armies of the Peshwa and the Nizam marched through Wardha plundering the adjoining country, and burnt Nagpur in retribution for the dishonesty displayed by Janoji-I in his conduct towards both of them.

Formation of the District
Wardha continued to form part of the Nagpur District until 1862 under the British, when it was made a separate charge chiefly on the ground that Nagpur as it then stood was too large for a single District, and that the interests of the vary valuable cotton industry in this part of the Wardha valley needed special supervision. The District headquarters were first located at Kaotha, near Pulgaon, but in 1866 they were removed to their present site, and the town of Wardha, named after the river, was built on the ground occupied by the hamlet of Palakwadi, the existing houses being levelled to admit of the new town being laid out on regular plan.

Climate

The climate of Wardha district is characterised by hot summers and a general dryness throughout the year except during the south-west monsoon when the humidity is above 60%. During the May, the hottest month of the year, the average maximum temperature has been recorded at 42°C and the average minimum at 28°C. December is the coldest month with average maximum temperature of 28°C and average minimum of 15°C. The average annual rainfall in the district is 1090.3 mm, out of which 87% is received during June to September. In general, the rainfall increases from west to east.

Geology And Geomorphology
The geology of Wardha district basically consists of Deccan Trap lava flows with some patches of Gondwana formations, Lametas and the alluvium along the major river courses. This lava flows in entire area of the district in 400 meter depth. It can be easily found by comparing the difference between minimum MSL height of highest and lowest surface area of North -East part of the district.

Gandhiji,s Wardha District

The Prayer of Sewagram, march of Paunar and the Ashti’s Revolutinary freedom is nothing but the soul of Wardha District. As of the other districts in Maharashtra State, though Wardha District is smaller in area but greater with its fame. 

The existing Wardha district was included in Nagpur district till 1862. Further it was separated for convenient administrative purpose and Kawatha near Pulgaon was the district Head quarter. In the year 1866, the district head quarter moved at Palakwadi village which is the existing place and then Wardha city is habited there. Wardha District is of three divisions and eight Talukas. 

Wardha district is situated at Western side of Wardha-Vainganga vallies in South - East Maharashtra. District is covered with Satpuda Hills at the north where as Western side is occupied by the vallies of river Purna. The plane Plato of the Nagpur District is at Eastern side where as the river Wardha flows from the boundaries of the North, West and South. 

Polytical Greatness 

In the year 1934, Mahatma Gandhi came at Wardha. He selected the Segao as his functioning land with Shri Jamanalal Bajaj. Further the Segaon renamed as Sewagram. Afterward Wardha district is found more important not only in India but in World also.In Indian freedom movement, Sewagram and Wardha District became immortal. As per the Gandhiji’s directions, Aacharya Vinoba Bhave settled at Paunar and constituted the Ashram on the bank of river Dham at the Wardha-Nagpur road. 

Vinoba Bhave was staying long time in village Gopuri near Wardha. Late. Jamanalal Bajaj was staying in small hut where now Gitai Temple is constructed.

Many important leaders had visited Wardha due to giving the new vision for Political, Social as well as Educational methods. President Rajendra Prasad, Moulana Abdul Kalam Azad, Pt. Jawaharlal Neharu, Acharya Kriplani, Lal Bahadur Shastri, Veer Sawarkar, Subhashchandra Bose, Khan Abdul Gaffar khan, Narayanji Agarwal, Rajashri Tandan, Dr. Radhakrishnan, Indira Gandhi, Acharya Aryanayakam, Dr. J.C. Kumarappa, Kamraj, Acharya Dhrmadhikari, Poet Keshavsoot, Ram Manohar Lohiya, Sarojini Nayadu etc. great leaders also came in Wardha. 

Regarding Indian Freedom Movement, various important decisions have been taken in Sevagram Ashram. Therefore it was also known as the non-government Capital of India. Different religious, various ladies-gents delegates from other countries visited the Ashram and mate Gandhiji to resolve the Political, Social, Religious issues. The British reprehensive Lord Lothian visited Wardha and traveled by bullock cart. Madam Chang Cashek from China, Lui Fisher could understand the real problems of India by visiting the Ashram. 

Share in Freedom Struggle 

From the year 1934, when Mahatma Gandhi staying in Wardha, many important decisions for Indian future have been taken in that environment. The Indian freedom movement directed from the Sevagram. Gandhiji had initiated his personal 'satyagraha' of 1940 from Ashram. Vinoba Bhave was the first Indian 'Satyagrahi' of this movement. All British rules have been intensifying opposed by the 'Bharat Chhodo' (Leave India) Movement which was originated in Sevagram Ashram only.

9th August Revolution

At the time of Freedom Movement in 1940, Smt. Sarayutai Dhotre had addressed to the freedom fighters at Wardha Station. She had been arrested on the same place. Suddenly Police began the firing in which Shri Jangluji Dhale and Chinnabai shot dead who were went to unfold the tricolor flag in Gandhi Chouk. Further British Police had arrested the other member of the movement. Therefore peoples have began the strong movement against the Police by disturbing the Police vans, breaking of the railway tracks etc. D.C.P., D.M. had also been suffered due to this movement. Therefore the strong fine imposed on the entire village and collected from the poor farmers. 

16th August Revolution

All villages of the Arvi Taluka have started this revolution on Nagpanchami day 16th August 1942. Rashtrasant Tukdoji Maharaj gave the slogan ‘Pathar Saare Bomb Banenge, Bhakt Banegi Sena’. Therefore Ashti became the origin for the movement and on 16th August march pass was arranged on Police Station. The on duty Station Incharge have ordered the shout exiting in which six revolutionary were died and four were injured. This issue was reached at the Londan where for ten revolutionary hang till death, for fifty five imprisonment have been ordered. Four revolutionary were already dead Jail. Total 112 peoples became the accused. Therefore the Ashti event became one of the major memorable history in Indian Freedom Revolution.

Therefore every year on each Nagpanchami, the 16th August Revolution is celebrated in Ashti as a Hutatam Din. In Wardha district, Hutatam Smaraks are there at Ashti, Peth, Ahamadapur, Wadala, Khadki, Sahur, Arvi, Wardha, Sewagram etc. 

Bapu Kutir Sevagram

Sevagram

Shegaon is a small village near Wardha town (8 km). Mahatma Gandhi reached the village on the 30th April,1936 early in the morning at about 5 a.m. He remained here for about five to six days. He called the villagers and the purpose of his visit and sought their permission to settle down here. He had no intention to keep anybody with him except his wife Kasturba. However slowly pressure of work necessitated permission to more colleagues till Sevagram Ashram also became a full-fledged institution.

He was 67 years when he came to Sevagram. In those days the village was surrounded by forest on all sides. Snakes and scorpions were a common feature. There was only one footpath or cart track to Wardha. No post-office or telegraph office existed. There letters used to be brought from Wardha. There is another village in this region named Shegaon, made famous by the residence of Saint Gajanan Maharaj. Hence Gandhiji's letters used to get misdirected. Therefore, it was decided in 1940 to name this village as SEVAGRAM or the village of service

Ashram Huts

Meera Ben (Miss Madelene Slade) was already settled in Sevagram before Gandhiji. At that time there was not even an approach road for the village. One make-shift road was soon constructed. A metalled road was constructed by the Government, when a Congress ministry was formed in the Central Provinces in 1937 under the scheme of provincial autonomy.

Gandhiji had put one condition for the construction of his hut (now known as Adi Niwas). Not more than Rs.500/ be spent on the hut and it be built with material available to serve food to inmates and then used to take his meals. He lived in one corner of the hut.

Bapu Kuti and Ba kuti

Some sixteen from Adi Nivas hut, Gandhiji's disciple Miss Meera Ben had constructed a hut for herself and she used to teach spinning and carding to villagers in that hut. When the number of residents in the Adi Nivas increased, Gandhiji and Kasturba shifted to live in Meeraben's hut. Meeraben constructed one more hut on the eastern side for herself. However, later on she left this hut also for Gandhiji's office and shifted to a nearby village. These huts are known today as 'BAPU KUTI' and 'BAPU'S OFFICE'.

Kasturba had to live in Bapu Kuti in the midst of so many men. Looking to her difficulty, a new hut was constructed for her. Kasturba lived in this new hut with a few inmates and sometimes with occasional women guests. This hut is known as 'BA KUTI'.

When we look at this hut, we notice the true living art of Gandhiji's liking. The roof of this hut is covered with bamboos, mats and country mud-tiles. The walls are neatly plastered with white earth. Meeraben had decorated the walls with folk art symbols like Oum, palm tree, peacock and the Charkha symbolising God, nature, living beings and human activity.

The windows and doors are also made of bamboos and decorated with local designs. The village craftsmen prepare the palm tree mats, which are spread on the floor. The bamboo almirah hanging by the wall is a specialty. There is one shelf made of bamboo for keeping articles.

He used to sit on simple palm leaf mats. His office was also nearby. Next to him, his secretary Mahadev Desai or Pyarelal or someone else who would assist him used to sit. The visitors also had to sit on the ground. In Gandhiji's office hut a telephone installed at behest of the then Viceroy of is also displayed.

Gandhiji's correspondence went on increasing. Naturally, one Secretariat committee was formed to help him. Mahadev Desai was it's chief. Others were Pyarelalji and Rajkumari Amrit Kaur. More people used to help whenever needed. Replies to all the letters were invariably sent, sometimes in detail and sometimes in very brief, according to the importance and of the time.

Three Monkeys

Gandhiji used simple and clean but beautiful stones as his paperweights. But the monkeys of china clay were the best. These monkeys are like toys. They are sitting side by side. One has put its hands over its eyes; the second one over its mouth the third over its ears. Gandhiji used to keep these monkeys with him as if they were telling not to here untruth and to speak untruth.

Prayer Ground

Morning and evening prayers are a part of life here. The place for community prayer should not be expensive. Such a should be freely accessible to all. Gandhiji created one such place here. It is the open space under the sky surrounded by bamboo lining. To keep the place dry and free of mud during the rainy season, it is paved with stones and spread over thick sand. Even today evening prayers are held here daily. After the prayer Gandhiji used to speak his thoughts on the Ashram problems or on some burning problem facing the country, or answer questions. 

Parchure Kuti

On the eastern side of Bapu Kuti and his office hut, lies Parchure Kuti. Parchure was asocial worker & Sanskrit Pandit, but was somehow afflicted with leprosy disease. In those days people used to shun leprosy patients. Therefore, Parchure was thinking of committing suicide. He came to Gandhiji. Gandhiji himself started nursing and cleaning his wounds. It is in this hut where Gandhiji served the leprosy affected Parchure.

Under Gandhiji's instructions Shri Manoharji Diwan devoted his whole life to this cause. He started an institution to serve leprosy patients near Sevagram viz. Dattapur village. Parchure then shifted to Dattapur and lived their till his death.

Mahadev Kuti

Mahadevbhai Desai was Secretary & very close to Gandhiji. He lived with family near Bapu Kuti in a hut called 'Mahadev Kuti'. Mahadevbhai had good command on English and Gujrati languages. He had a pious character. He died on 15th August,1942 while in prison with Gandhiji at the Agakhan Palace in Pune. His absence was deeply felt by Gandhiji. 

Kishore Kuti

On the northeastern side of Bapu Kuti one hut was prepared for Kishorebhai Mashruwala. He was scholar and studied Gandhian thought. He acted as a Secretary to Gandhiji for sometime. He was suffering from asthma. Therefore, the hut built for him is more comfortable and free from wetness during rainy season. This hut is called 'Kishore Kuti'.

Frontier Gandhi

Gandhiji invited Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan popularly known as the Frontier Gandhi, to come and live with him for sometime. Gaffar Khan lived in the Adi Nivas. The Frontier Gandhi lead a simple life of an Ashramite. He used to serve the sick also besides attending to other duties. Though looking to his habits Gandhiji had permitted  him to eat meat yet, he never ate any meat and followed the Ashram  discipline. He lived like a villager and called himself 'A Servant  of God'.

Tukdoji Maharaj

In the early days, Saint Tukadoji Maharaj lived in the Ashram for  one month. He also lived in the Adi Nivas with Bapu. After returning  to his own Ashram he started constructive activities in tune with Gandhiji's teachings. He used to pray daily in the mornings and  evenings. When in Sevagram he used to sing spiritual hymns after the prayers. Many villagers used to come to listen.

Total stay of Bapu in Wardha

In Wardha, Seagram - 2,588 days


Places for Tourist
Kelzer
There is a Varad Vinayak’s (Lord Ganesh ) temple at Kelzer which is also known as one of the Ganesh temple from Ashtavinayaka in Vidarbha region. The Sculpture of Lord Ganesha is found in the past period of Arya.

Vishwa Shanti Stup
In 1935, Fuji Guruji from Japan came to Wardha and met Mahatma Gandhi. He put the wish to setup the Stups (Prayer place for of Budha Community) in India. Gandhi agreed his desire and then after Stanti Stups were built at eight different places in India. One of that Vishwa Shanti Stup is found in Wardha. This Stup is constructed with the help of Japan in 1995. On the Stup the architecture is available describing the history of Lord Goutam Budha.

Gitai Mandir (Temple)
This is the mandir where Vinoba’s Gitai became perpetual. Vinoba Bhave translated the Bagwat Gita in the book Gitai. For this purpose number of polished stones are brought from different places and arranged vertically in shape of cow and 18 ‘Shlokas’ (sections) of the Gita are engraved on it. This temple is unlike to the general temple. It has no ceiling, no walls.

Beside the mandir, permanent exhibition is arranged in Shanti Kuti in memory of Mahatma Gandhi and Jamnalal Bajaj.

Gandhi Gyan Mandir
It is a public library opposite to Bajajwadi. Various books written by Mahatma Gandhi and books written on him are available here. In addition this, the valuable collection of literature, Economics, Politics, Social Sciences and other subject can be referred.

The foundation stone of the Gyan Mandir was laid by Dr. Rajendra Prasad in 1950, and it was inaugurated by Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru in 1954.

Sewagram - Bapu Kuti

Mahatma Gandhi came Wardha in the year 1934. On the request by late jamnalalji Bajaj, he selected the Segaon village for his Ashram or Kuti. Later this village renamed as Sewagram. Mahatma Gandhi continued his freedom movement from this ashram. Various articles , needy things used by Gandhi are kept here as it is. The premises of the Ashram having the Adi Niwas, Ba Kuti (Shelter of Kasturba Gandhi), Akhri Niwas, Mahadeo Kuti, Kishor Kuti and other historical places maintaining as its original status by the trusty of the Ashram.

Permanent Photo exhibition of the Gandhi is there near the Ashram.

Tourism and Development Department of Government of India have started the guest house beside the ashram for staying the visiters.

In memory of Gandhi, Kasturba Hospital is established here in year 1944. Beside this, on 12thAugust 1969, Dr. Sushila Nayar had started the Mahatma Gandhi Medical College in Sewagram. 

Paunar - Paramdham Ashram
Paramdham Ashram is established by Acharya Vinoba Bhave in the year 1934 on the bank of river Dham in Paunar village five miles way from Wardha. Vinobaji longed for self-realisation and left home in search of ‘Brahma’. Further he thought, Gandhiji’s Ashram would show the light he aspired for and so joined it.

After an inner call, he left Paunar and initiated unending Padayatra, the march for Gramdan and Bhoodan (Donation of land for landless peoples).

The idea of Brahma Vidya was crystallised in 1958 during his morning walks with his associates. Vinobaji recognized that the real freedom can come to a group mind, working through the group. However, ‘Bharat Chhode’ movement is also continued from this ashram with his leadership.

The river Dhan flows in Paunar in which Gandhiji’s asthi were desoved.

Bor Dam
In Selu Taluka, village Bori is 32 K.M. away from Wardha. A dam is constructed on river Bor near village. The premises of Dam is having the beautiful garden and there is a reserve forest developed by declaring it as tourist place. This place is full of flora and fauna having hills with dense forest over there.

Hue en sang Dhamma camp centre & Stup
In the Bor Dam premises, this Dhamma camp centre and Stup is established near Bor water storage in Selu Tahasil on a hilly area. The financial aid is supported to construct this Dhamma Kendra by Taiwan and England.

Every year camp is held here. Many foreigners visits this place . The architecture of Stup is so beautiful that the statues of Lord Goutam Buddha in various expressions can be seen here.

Garpit
This village in Karanja Tahasil, is near by dense forest so called forest village 64 KM away from Wardha city. Various animals can be observed in forest. The natural scenes can watch from available forest guest house on the hill.

Girad
Girad is 59 KM away from Wardha and it is in Samudrapur Tahasil. There is a Tomb of Shaikh Farid baba a famous sant of Muslim. It is also tell that, the sant is in standing reverse position and doing the prayer. The temple of Lord Ram is also there on bank of a lake near the sant’s tomb. On the Ram Nawami festival, huge yaatra helds here. Also in the ten days period of festival Muharram, religious integrity can be seen here.

Dhaga
This forest village is situated on mountains of Satpuda hill ranges near the sub river of Dham. Near about 3 KM away from this place , a temple of Lord shiva is surrounded by Caves. Huge fair is arranges here on the festival Mahashivaratri. It is also a tourist place in Wardha district. 

Magan Sangrahalaya (Museum)
It is in the middle of the Wardha city. The museum is inaugurated on 30th December 1938 by Mahatma Gandhi. It has been developed by well known expert of Gandhian economic system, Dr. J.C. Kumarappa and Aaryanayakam whose extensive efforts brought forward the village industries and Village development concept.

Rashtra Bhasha Prachar Samiti
This institution was started in 1936 in Wardha under the Presidentship of Dr. Rajendra Prasad, as a result of a resolution of the Hindi Sahitya Sammelan at its Nagpur session.

The Rashtra Bhasha Prachar Samiti conducts Hindi examinations all over India and has published books of learning the national language. It is taking efforts to promote Hindi-our national language

Laxmi Narayana Mandir (Temple)
This is a temple of God-goddesses Lord Vishnu and Laxmi. It is big temple built in the 1905. Inner side of the temple is constructed with marble. Late Jamnalal have opened the temple in 19th July 1928 for ‘Harihans’ (lower caste peoples). Near the temple a medical shop is opened free for poor people. Various books of Sansrit, Prakrit, and Ved, Upnishades, Bhagwat in Hindi languages are available in the temples library. A guest house of the truest is there near the Railway Station.

Bajajwadi
It is the residence of the late Shri Jamnalal Bajaj who played the host to all the national leaders during the freedom struggle, more specially, at the time of the Congress Working Committee meetings at Wardha. In the Guest House attached to Bajajwadi, Dr. Rajendra Prasad, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, Sarojini Nayadu, Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan, Dr. Subhash Chandra Bose used to stay during their visits to Wardha for meeting Gandhiji. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru generally stayed in the main Bajajwadi bungalow.

During the pre-Independence period. Lunches and dinners were arranged in the back side open space of the main building. All the national leaders used to take food in the Indian style, sitting on the floor.

Ashti
Ashti is Tahasil Head quarter place. There is a centre of Arti Mandal of Saint Tukdoji Maharaj. Ashti had created a important place in Indian History. The Independence struggle from which it has participated in ‘Bharat Chhodo’ (Leave India) movement on 16th August 1942 on Nagpanchami festival. Lot of peoples had given their lives to get the freedom. Every year Hutatma din is celebrating on occasion of Nagpanchami festival.

Sonegaon (Aabaji)
Sonegaon in Deoli Tahasil is 7 KM away from Dahegaon (Rly) station on Nagpur-Mumbai railway line. Here we can find the articles of old Houses, temples of God Krishna, Laxmi-Narayana, Monument of Abaji Maharaj in memory of which huge fair is held on Ashadhi and Kartiki Ekadashi.

Kapshi
This village is situated on the bank of river Wardha in Hinganghat Tahasil from 34 KM away from Wardha. Saint Nanaji Maharaj had built a beautiful temple of Laxmi Narayan in year 1890. The sculture of the god is made from black stones of 91 c.m. in hight.

Koteshwar
It is in Deoli Tahasil and 40 KM away from Wardha. It is believed the the Ramayana rishi Vashishta have arragned Koti yadnya here. This place is on the north bank of the river Wardha on which there is a 'Hemadpanthi' temple of Lord Shiva. The sand near by place of temple is resembles with the Bhasma in Yadnya. Therefore this place became pious for pilgrims like Kashi.

Pothara
Pothra Dam in Hinganghat Tahasil is 65 KM away from Wardha. The premises of the Dam is very beautiful and natural. Various types of bird arrives here. The Water reservoir is with the same level of land. Therefore government had proposed to provide the facility of Rest houses, Water game, Garden, Toilets.

Pardi
This place is situated on the bank of river Vena in Hinganghat Taluka and it is 28 KM away from Wardha. Huge fair is held at the old temple of Lord Murlidhar from Gokulashtami festival in memory of Sant Nagaji Maharaj.

Pohana
Pohana is on the bank o river Wardha in Hinganghat and at the north side 50 KM away from Wardha. It is told that the Pohana is settled by Prithvi sen the grandson of Pravarsen (First) and son of Rudrasen. Old temple of Rudrasencan be found here. It is belived that Prithvisen had built this temple in memory of his father.

Mandgaon
Mandgaon in Samudrapur Tahasil is 31 KM away from North-East side of Wardha. It is situated on the joining place of three rivers viz. Vena, Wardha and Yashoda. It is believed that the name Mandgaon is due to Sant Mando was staying here for long time. Few places such as temple of Murlidhar, Tomb of Muslim sage, and the holly place of Sant Brahmapure can be visited. The villagers celebrates the festivals of Hindu Aashadhi Ekadashi, Gokul Ashtami, Ramnavami etc.

Mahakali
This is holly place of Goddesses Mahakali in Arvi Tahasil 35 KM 35 KM from Wardha city. The Mahakali Dam is developed on the river Dham. The river is originated from the hills of Garamsur on the Kharangana-Kondhali route. The Mahakali temple built on the bottom side of the Dam. The valuable and dense green forest surrounding the water storage attracts the tourists. Staying facility for the pilgrims is available here. Government had promoted it as a tourist place by providing the Rest Houses, gardens, Water boating etc to attract the tourists.

Hinganghat
It is a Taluka Head quarter of the district on Delhi-Chennai railway line. 55 KM from Wardha. The river Vena flows near the city. The old temple of Malhari-Martand is developed by Dadoba Borkar, the Sardar of Bhosale in memory of his mother in the period 1792-1805. The required stones for the temple construction are brought from Varora, Bhandak, Bhatala and other places. The construction is completed under supervision of some architecture from Rajasthan with tremendous efforts. The design of the sculptures on temple memorizes the events in Ramayana and Mahabharata.

Bansilal Kochar had developed the Jain temple in 1955 which one of the beautiful temple of Vidarbha region. The decoration of the temples used the glass materials to extend the beatification.


Do you know?
In the year 1934, Mahatma Gandhi came to Wardha. He selected the Segao as his functioning land with Shri Jamanalal Bajaj. Further the Segaon renamed as Sewagram. Afterward Wardha district is found more important not only in India but in World also.In Indian freedom movement, Sewagram and Wardha District became immortal. As per the Gandhiji’s directions, Aacharya Vinoba Bhave settled at Paunar and constituted the Ashram on the bank of river Dham at the Wardha-Nagpur road. 

Many important leaders had visited Wardha due to giving the new vision for Political, Social as well as Educational methods. President Rajendra Prasad, Moulana Abdul Kalam Azad, Pt. Jawaharlal Neharu, Acharya Kriplani, Lal Bahadur Shastri, Veer Sawarkar, Subhashchandra Bose, Khan Abdul Gaffar khan, Narayanji Agarwal, Rajashri Tandan, Dr. Radhakrishnan, Indira Gandhi, Acharya Aryanayakam, Dr. J.C. Kumarappa, Kamraj, Acharya Dhrmadhikari, Poet Keshavsoot, Ram Manohar Lohiya, Sarojini Nayadu etc. great leaders also came in Wardha. 

Regarding Indian Freedom Movement, various important decisions have been taken in Sevagram Ashram. Therefore it was also known as the non-government Capital of India. Different religious, various ladies-gents delegates from other countries visited the Ashram and mate Gandhiji to resolve the Political, Social, Religious issues.

Share in Freedom Struggle 
From the year 1934, when Mahatma Gandhi staying in Wardha, many important decisions for Indian future have been taken in that environment. The Indian freedom movement directed from the Sevagram. Gandhiji had initiated his personal 'satyagraha' of 1940 from Ashram. Vinoba Bhave was the first Indian 'Satyagrahi' of this movement. All British rules have been intensifying opposed by the 'Bharat Chhodo' (Leave India) Movement which was originated in Sevagram Ashram only.

 
10 ways you can benefit
Register free & create profile
Search corporates
Search funding agencies
Share district challenges
Recommend to Collector / MP
Shareprogrammes
Share donation opportunities
Share volunteering opp
Profiles of districts of India
Statistical canvas of districts